Pages widget

7 August 2012

Texture

Creative Expressions are holding a Design Team call for 2012 so this means that I have been part of the team for a year! Gosh! Where's that year gone? If you have any doubts about having a go at entering I would encourage you to do so. All the details are here and the requirements are not tricky at all!
One of the requirements is to make something with Texture and when I saw this I immediately thought I might make something with metal but the impossibly talented Tracy Evans made an incredible piece of art in the style I would have attempted so I thought I might make a different sort of card using my wonderful Wendy Vecchi stamps as Creative Expressions are the main stockist of Wendy's wonderful products!
I took a piece of Core’dinations card (which has it's own texture!) and embossed it with a Tim Holtz Texture Fade and then sanded the raised areas. I then rubbed Vintage Photo Distress Ink over the sanded areas to give it a grungy feel. I also die cut a piece of kraft card which is at the back of the pink card on the finished piece and will have my message for the recipient on it. I cut a piece of kraft card to fit within the aperture of the Ornate Plate and stamped a sentiment from Wendy Vecchi's Card Art Essentials stamp set in Jet Black Archival Ink. The little hearts were coloured by stamping some Barn Door Distress Stain on my craft mat and, using a small paint brush, painted the hearts - I needed a steady hand as they are tiny! The ornate plate had a little white paint rubbed into it and then wiped off. This highlights the texture on the plate but of course metal is an additional texture too!
Can you see I used the word 'Texture' on my flower?!
I used some dictionary paper and glued it to some Grunge Paper and then stamped two sizes of flowers in Sepia Archival Ink and cut them out. I bent the petals over a pencil and added Vintage Photo Distress Ink to the edges. For the centre of the flower I used a foliage flower, added a little white paint and removed nearly all of it! To keep the flower together I added a Hinge Fastener. For the leaves I used two stamp sets (Be Inspired...To Make Art and Love to Make Art) and Peeled Paint Distress Ink and stamped the leaves onto more Grunge Paper. To adhere the sections to the die cut I used Glossy Accents. The two die cuts were adhered together with a piece of wire frame in between. I had added some Alcohol Inks to the wire first (Gold, GingerEspresso, Pitch Black) so that it gave it a little more interest than the plain grey metal.
So, this is my interpretation of 'Texture' - what will you do?
Signature

7 comments:

Gillian .... said...

This is gorgeous Gabrielle, love the Texture and the composition. x

Anonymous said...

Beautiful, I love it.

Helen said...

I can feel it from here... just gorgeous.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Gorgeous Gabrielle, great minds think alike eh. I immediately thought of metal as I have been using it a great deal over the last six weeks so was the first thought that came to mind lol. So sweet of you, thank you for the compliment. I love your textural piece and it's the little touches like the word texture on the flower that make it perfect for me. Love the embossed textural background and the metal ornate plate. Lovely. Good luck flower. Tracy x

Words and Pictures said...

Love all the textural variety in this, from the distressed embossed honeycomb, to the inky texty (texture text) flowers, to the grungy metal flower and grid - all so fabulous!
Alison x

Anonymous said...

What beautiful texture has been achieved on your tag.
Wishes
Lynne

Silvia(Barnie) said...

A fabulous creation, great texture on it.