Pages widget

13 May 2011

Oh my stars and stripes!

I have been utterly inspired to be creative after I read Hels' post and then thought I might enter it for the 'Anything Goes' challenge too! I have started an 'art' wall and thought that a month by month calendar might be a good idea as a focal point so I thought I might make July's! (You can see May's here!) I'm not American so don't really have much experience of July 4th celebrations but I've watched enough old movies to be inspired by vintage flags...!!!
So I ripped some October Afternoon paper and some of Tim's stash and inked the edges with Barn Door and Vintage Photo Distress Inks. I glued them together to make a sheet and then covered cardboard as I did here
For the stars I punched out white shrink plastic (with my trusty Stampin' Up punch) and covered one with Silver Paint Dabber. The background was left over cardstock crumpled and sprayed with Sailboat Blue Colour Wash. 
I cut out a July month from a 6x6 sheet and used a tag and left over paper to make the rosette. I painted Clear Rock Candy Crackle Paint and added a Maya Road pin. I stamped stars in Vintage Photo and that was that! 


I have just noticed I haven't waited for the crackle paint to dry before I took the photo!!! Not terribly patient am I?!I have had a long old week this week and making this has been a real relief from it all! Hope you like it! Must think of what to do for the other months now! 
Gabrielle x

10 comments:

Hels Sheridan said...

Ooooh I say Gabrielle... this is just divine... loving the vintagey look you have achieved... am also loving your blog... just spent a yonk or so mooching... fabbbbby art!!! Thanks for joining in with the Sunday Stamper hun... hope to see you back again soon!! x

Sarah said...

Quite agree - something magical about an American vintage flag (maybe they think that about ours!)It looks just great - fab rosette.

Maybe this link about June will help...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/June

Sarah at 35

Gillian .... said...

Hi Gabrielle, your stars & stripes project is so neat, love the vintage feel you have given it, the torn papers look fab as the stripes and love love love the rosette:)

Dragon said...

Thanks for the visit, Gabrielle... I am chuffed you popped over and even more pleased that you got some inspiration for your next calendar piece... DO please let me know when it's done... meanwhile thanks for the great, flattering comment and happy crafting
Frankie
xx

Sarah said...

Me again...Glad to see you here at SSS&S too - Thanks for joining in our challenge!
Sarah

Gerri Herbst said...

Beautiful piece, you did a fine job! Love the torn paper. Thanks for visiting me today. gerri :)

Kathy Eddy said...

This turned out amazing! I love it. Going to sign up to follow your blog so I don't miss out!

Linda Coughlin, the funkie junkie said...

Absolutely fabulous! I really love the way you tore the strips to make the stripes. And that red, white and blue rosette is just awesome. Great work with the stars too! So glad you joined in the fun with us this week at Simon Says Stamp and Show!

Candy C said...

This is really cute!!! I love how your frame turned out. Really cool stripes and the rosette is awesome against the red and white stripes.
Hey, thank you for leaving such a nice comment on my blog! I really appreciate it.
<3 Candy

AJ said...

wow!! i love what you have done! its really great, cool way of creating paper...