Pages widget

27 August 2011

Bags packed and I'm off on Holiday!!!

When you read this we could be on our way to our week's holiday on the Norfolk Broads! We have never had a holiday on a boat before and bets are on for who falls in first...! So, holiday very much on my mind I made a suitcase from Tim's Vintage Valise die and my trusty Vagabond for my latest Creative Expressions Design Team make with the Murray and Ethel stamp set. I chose a sentiment which really spoke to me as I am just off on my holiday! 
I wanted the suitcase to have a battered 'old' look so I used a faux leather technique. I used a light brown card to start and then directly stamped Vintage Photo Distress Ink pad into the suitcase. I wanted to see the lines from the edges of the pad - this technique does not warrant neatness - you should still be able to see a little of the original card underneath. The cover this with clear embossing powder and give the suitcase a few good taps to dislodge any really loose powder and then heat it as normal. Then I rubbed Black Soot Distress Ink into the whole suitcase and the areas that the embossing powder that missed - then using a dry baby wipe or whatever's to hand wipe off the extra ink from the embossed surface. 
The tag was two labels with the middle cut out from the second, embossed the same way as the suitcase. The straps and reinforcer ring for the tag were made the same way as before but the base ink was Tea Dye and then I used Vintage Photo over the top. 
The corners were coloured by spraying them with various Cosmic Shimmer mists, clear embossing as before and Black Soot Distress Ink over the top of that. I used 8 brads and a little chain and two jump rings to assemble the suitcase and that was that! 
Hope you have a lovely week and I'll catch up with you all when I get back! Gabrielle x

3 comments:

Sara said...

Love the sentiment - have a great time, hope you have taken some crafty kit with you for those moments when it's too damp to go outside:0)

Alison said...

Fantastic, great sentiment, & I love that faux leather look! Have a wonderful time on The Broads! xxx

hazel said...

Wonderful work - I love it. Have a lovely holiday.
xxx Hazel.