Pages widget

13 March 2012

Maggie's Message...

It's a convoluted story to how I came to alter this book - I'll explain more in a future post but I bought this book about a year ago and never had the courage to alter it... But today I was feeling brave and decided to bring along my Studio 490 stamps as Dutch Courage! 
This is Maggie's Message - the book plate says it was awarded to 'Dora' in 1911...
With my craft knife I scored a frame about 3cm from the edges and then proceeded to rip the centre of the pages out (I scored a cross in the centre of each page so it was easy to do) I allowed the pages to build up naturally at the edges to create texture. 
I left the last page uncut as it was adverts for other books and I rather liked it and I covered it in a layer of Tumbled Glass Distress Stain. The inner pages were treated to a little Vintage Photo Distress Ink and the top page was stamped with a script stamp in Sepia Archival Ink and then covered in Peeled Paint Distress Ink. I added a couple of stamps in Jet Black Archival Ink to the frame.
The bottle was stamped on heat resistant acetate with Jet Black Archival Ink. The label, and bottle top were stamped on a spare book page and inked with Antique Linen Distress Stain and Brushed Corduroy Distress Ink. I added a little Glossy Accents on the star and I tucked the bottle into the back of the book. 
The stem and leaves were inked with Peeled Paint Distress Ink and tucked behind the bottle (with a spot of Glossy Accents to keep them in place!) The flower was inked with Milled Lavender and Victorian Velvet Distress Stains and I added a washer and brad for the centre. The banner was die cut and inked as the bottle with a sentiment
This was my first, but definitely not last, altered book - but as it was my first I would love to know what you think! I thought I would offer it for scrutiny in this week's Simon Says Stamp and Show as the theme is Anything Goes!
 Signature

15 comments:

Helen said...

I told you it would be fabulous!! I LOVE how you've ripped out the pages - what a fabulous effect.... Now you've done one, you should do more - Elizabeth from WOYWW (Altered Book Lover in my sie bar) is running a course - not that you need lessons... Now, let me get back to Liverpool...

Kirsten Alicia said...

Wow, it is GORGEOUS!! The flower & the bottle are great. You did a wonderful job. I haven't been brave enough to alter a book, so I'm going to Pickleberry Crafts in Faversham on Saturday, to take an altered book workshop with Jennie of Artistic Stamper.

victoria h said...

What a gorgeous surprise on the inside. Just wondering where you are going to place this book now. Looks like you had lots of fun doing this.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

I did one of these a while back and it was great fun, you will end up doing lots more lol. It's fabulous Gabrielle and I love the images you used too. Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Saus Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

Misty's said...

WOW Gabrielle,absolutely amazing!! I love every little bit of it and also the control over the tearing. I think I would make a huge mess out that.
Michaela xx

CraftygasheadZo said...

It is super amazing! I love it. The textures of the ripped pages are fab and your colour choices work so well. Great job! Zo xx

hazel said...

This is absolutely fabulous Gabrielle. I love how you've ripped the pages and the flower in the bottle.
xxx Hazel.

Sarah said...

it's a beauty and such fabulous colours - well done for taking the plunge - she's luuurvely! Great work! Thanks so much for joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge! Sarah.

Marjie Kemper said...

Oh my goodness, this is stunning! I love everything about it, especially the vibrant colors. Wow!

Bev said...

I just LOVE this.. I struggle with the whole using a book for something else thing (it must be the Librian in me - I really am one!)but this is so beautiful! I love the edges of the pages, the stamped bits and the bottle and flower is fab. Thanks for sharing such an inspiration piece!

Jo said...

Really I should chastise you for being so cruel to books (given my "profession") and it is such a lovely looking book as well. BUT you've made it look so pretty and given it a new life and anyway I'm not sentimental about old books (well not at work anyway!) jo xx

Dee's Craft Room said...

Oh, wow, I am not sure I would have the courage to destroy a book, isn't that silly! However, I am fascinated by your project and am impressed by the end result.

Dionne x

Lynne Forsythe said...

OMW...your creation is ABSOLUTELY AMAZING!!!! WOW!!!

Thanks BUNCHES for joining this weeks challenge at Simon Says Stamp and Show!!

Gillian .... said...

Oooo it is scrumptious, how did I miss this one, love the vibrancy of colours too. x

Paper Lace Crafts said...

wow!I love this - what a great idea and so beautifully done. Julie x