Pages widget

16 April 2012

No Girls Allowed!

No Girls Allowed? Doesn't seem very friendly does it?! But that is this week's Crafty Boots theme.  This theme was chosen by Emma and the idea is that you make something, anything without using any images of girls. I had real trouble with this. I didn't struggle with the theme as I knew what I was going to do but once I'd made the little ATC I wasn't really sure what to do next. So, four, yes four, attempts later I turned to the brilliantly inspirational Wendy Vecchi and PaperArtsy and voilà! 
The ATC is die cut from cream mountboard and then I smooched various Distress Stains on it and sanded it. Then I stamped a Tim Holtz swirl in Vintage Photo Distress Ink at the top. Knowing that Distress ink/Stains react with water I then spritzed Heirloom Gold Perfect Pearls Mist over the top (but if you don't want to  risk your stamp from smudging spray first and then stamp - I just like the slightly smudged look!) 
I then stamped my chaps on with Jet Black Archival Ink. Many of you would have masked the chaps off and stamped the swirl but I actually wanted to partly obscure them as they can be quite an overpowering image sometimes and this is only a little piece. So this is where I hmm-ed and haa-ed a lot and finally cut a piece of mountboard larger than my ATC and covered it with Mocha Mousse Fresco Paint. I then added a thin layer of Crackle Glaze Fresco and then a layer of Old Gold. I dried it with my heat gun at each stage but I didn't want crackled paint effect (so I deliberately used too little) but I wanted a surface for the gold paint to sit on so that when I sanded it back I would reveal some of the brown paint instead of going straight the to the cream card. It looks, quite 'gentlemans' club in real life! 
The sentiment is one of Wendy's (and made me chuckle!) and is stamped in Sepia Archival Ink  and I edged it, and everything else in Vintage Photo Distress Ink. I added six brads (which I beat with my texture hammer) and two Charm Clips and little black ribbon. I am looking forward to seeing what you make - remember - no girls allowed!
Signature

17 comments:

Misty's said...

Hi Gabrielle
After so many goes it really turned out amazing! I never make anything on my first attempt. Most of the time there is more waste in paper than the overall amount on my creation.
Love the chaps, the sentiment is great and also the touches with clips and brads are super!
Michaela xx

Alison said...

This is such a fab vintagy piece Gabrielle! Lovely to meet you finally at Ally Pally! Come on, show us your stash! xx

CraftyDaffy said...

Great vintage look! I love it! xx Denise

Helen said...

4th time lucky then! Think your chaps look just fine & dandy!
Had a brilliant time on Saturday, the best weekend in I don't know how long. Thank you!!

Dee's Craft Room said...

Another fabulous tag Gabrialle, I love the vintage look.

It was fantastic to finally meet you on Saturday, next time we must make sure we have more time to sit and talk crafting.

Dionne x

Kirsten Alicia said...

That looks terrific! I love that you stamped the swirl first, so that it shows through the men, it's a very cool effect.

Stephie Boots said...

Fabulous hanging! :) I LOVE that swirl stamp xxx

CraftygasheadZo said...

This is fantastic - I love the effects you have created. All the different textures and finishes make this a super vintage piece, that will look great anywhere. Thanks too for your crafty support lately. Zo xx

victoria h said...

The swirl looks like smoke- liking the ironic sentiment!

emma mitchell said...

I really love this , your work is always amazing .
Emma xx

Marjie Kemper said...

It sure turned out great! Love what you've done to the fellas and that sentiment is my new favorite!

blackdragon said...

Love the grungy steampunk feel to this art piece...gorgeous!
Congrats on joining Frankies dream team...i look forward to designing with you.
BDx

Hels Sheridan said...

Fab ATC Gabrielle... Love those chaps!! Was lovely to see you at the weekend... And MiniMe is a little sweetie x

Jo said...

Woo hoo love what you've done to those boys! The swirl is great and I love the sanding. jo xx

Kitty said...

Love the theme and how you have interpreted it

hazel said...

Fabulous Gabrielle.
xxx Hazel.

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Great vintage look.