Pages widget

3 April 2012

Signed, Sealed, Delivered

Hello! For my latest project for Creative Expressions I thought I might share a slightly different take on embossing with Distress Stains and I have used a fabulous sentiment from The Voice of Art by Wendy Vecchi as my inspiration.
Take the item you wish to emboss (I used a die cut heart) and cover it with a Distress Stain (I used Barn Door) and emboss with clear embossing powder. Don't try and achieve a really smooth finish! Rub Black Soot Distress Ink into the pits - let it stain where the embossing powder has 'missed'. Then cover the shape in more, very 'juicy' and liquid, Distress Stain and quickly emboss again. The Distress Stain will lie on top of the embossed finish so it will seem very peculiar! This is perfectly normal as the liquid is not being absorbed by the surface of your shape! I did this step twice (so three times in total) and what happens it that you get a 'liquid' effect - like there is liquid trapped under the embossing powder! It's very cool and worth a try!
To finish the card I added another Wendy stamp, this time a dotty one, in Vintage Photo Distress Ink and the sentiment stamped on kraft card with Cobalt Archival Ink. I hope you try embossing with Distress Stain, I'd love to see what effects you create.
Signature

14 comments:

Amy Tidd said...

Love this effect! At first on the pic I thought you'd used glitter because of the sparkle the wetness of the inks gives! Love the card design you've come up with aswell! Thanks for directing me to this in the early hours via Twitter! Xxx

Helen said...

I think it looks fabulous!! The overall card looks great.

Carol said...

It looks great. Thank you for sharing the whole idea of embossing with stains - off to try that later I'm thinking! Ironing can wait - again! x

hazel said...

Fabulous card Gabrielle. I must try this technique - the heart looks great.
xxx Hazel.

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Lovely card Gabrielle, love the dotty background combined with the heart. Tracy x

TonyR said...

gorgeous elegant card. love the embossing -- i'll give that a go for sure! x

CraftygasheadZo said...

Oh I love it! I need to buy some distress stains now (I know, can't believe I don't own any!)so I can try this for myself! Thanks for sharing. Zo xx

Alison said...

What a brilliant technique, I'm definitely going to try that! Love your card Gabrielle, TFS! x

Belinda Basson said...

This looks fantastic, I am off to my desk to give it a go.

Unknown said...

Great technique Gabrielle fab card Hugs Elaine

Unknown said...

Great technique Gabrielle fab card Hugs Elaine

Lorinda.C.F said...

Beautiful effect and card! Thanks so much for sharing the technique!

snazzyoriginal said...

What a great idea, love the project - off to try xx

sue law said...

Great idea Gabrielle! Love the simple layout too!
Suex