Pages widget

31 July 2013

Ouch!

I'm back! Several weeks ago I fell off my bicycle breaking my humorous and smashing my elbow. I had surgery and have a few screws and plates holding me back together! Following surgery I have sustained inevitable nerve damage which has caused a lot of problems with my wrist and hand. I've taken the intervening time to heal. It will actually take months more heal completely but I'm on the mend now! 
I have been able to start to craft again. It's mainly one handed and so I'm keeping things pretty simple. There are lots of techniques I can't do one handed and using paint is pretty difficult but spray inks are really easy to use! I can use stamps (though often it's an uneven result!) and I am just starting to be able to cut things out! It's all baby steps and frustratingly slow but it's so much more than I was able to do before!
I wanted to say a huge thank you to you all for your kind good wishes here and on Facebook and Twitter as well as your cards and emails. Each one was very gratefully received and treasured.
I thought I'd share a journal page I made to 'commemorate' my experience! I'm back tomorrow with my first DT project since the accident!
Signature

13 comments:

Helen said...

SOOOO good to see you back in crafty land again, my lovely... the page is gorgeous - and very appropriate, how else could you make a come back! Good luck with the continued improvements.

Lin said...

Poor you Gabrielle :( Who would have thought a bike ride could end up like that!! Glad to see you are on the mend be it very slowly..your page is great, lovely bright colours..glad to see you crafting again!!

Michelle Webb said...

I'm so pleased you're back on the mend Gabrielle. Great journal page too, not sure I'd want to remember the trauma though. Hopefully after time you'll get all your functioning back in it. Michelle xx

Silvia(Barnie) said...

Gabrielle it's wonderful to see you back. I love the idea of you first pages after the accident. Hope your further improvement will be full-filled soon.

snazzyoriginal said...

Great to see you crafting & blogging again, love the page xx

CraftygasheadZo said...

How lovely to see you, and such a fab page to show your Ouch moment! Happy crafting, speedy healing. Take care my friend, stay cool. Zo xx

Words and Pictures said...

So lovely to have you back... and while it's wonderful to have you crafting again, make sure you give that arm plenty of rest too! Fab "Ouch" page - feel your crafty pain... and can't wait to see what's next.
Alison x

Anonymous said...

Hurrah & thrice, welcome back!! That is a gorgeous page & I'm sure making it really gave you a boost.

Dee's Craft Room said...

Hi

I missed your return to blogland last week, sorry.

That is certainly a very nasty break, my husband had a very similar injury a few years back, he has never regained full movement in his elbow but most of the time he manages well. He is still playing golf and I never thought he would manage that! So don't loose heart, it just takes time.


Dionne xx

Yvonne Garner said...

Just learning of your accident. Had wondered why you seemed so quiet recently. Glad you are well on the way to restored health.

Marjie Kemper said...

So sorry to hear about your accident! Hope you continue to have improvement each day and are soon back to double-fisted crafting!

Unknown said...

Wowsers, so glad to hear your gettin on, and with such a happy face !!!!! keep up the happy!!!!!!

craftimamma said...

Only just noticed this in your sidebar (tend to have blinkers on, lol). Started following you on twitter, etc., after your accident so wasn't aware of how it happened. Definitely 'Ouch' is putting it mildly! I think you are doing brilliantly with your crafting and doubt anyone would be aware you were almost confined to using one hand if they didn't know already. Good luck with continued improvement!

Hugs
Lesley Xx